Dehydration is the condition when the loss of body water increases than the amount that is taken in. Excess loss of body fluids harms normal bodily functions. It is very important to maintain your body well-hydrated. Dehydration not only affects your body but also affects your oral hygiene. Dehydration can lead to dry mouth, bad breath, and gum problems. It can also lead to severe problems such as heat stroke, urinary and kidney issues, seizures, and low blood volume shock. For more help, I recommend you to visit the best dental clinic in Noida.
Symptoms of dehydration:
· Dry mouth
· Extreme thirst
Effect of dehydration on your oral health:
Dehydration can have a negative effect on your oral hygiene. Saliva is comprised of water, so less saliva means more bacteria that grows in your mouth and leads to the decay of the tooth. Dry mouth means you do not have enough saliva to digest your food and to maintain the moist of your mouth. More bacteria can also lead to bad breath. The bacteria create an acid that increases the problem of the tooth cavity. The less production of saliva means your teeth tend to grow weaker.
Tips to stay hydrated:
· Make a routine to drink enough water either you are thirsty or not.
· For more saliva production, chew sugar-free gum.
· Avoid sodas, sports drink, and alcohol.
· No more salt or salted products.
· To gain the lost electrolytes, drink more coconut water.
When to consult dentist:
· If you have pain in the tooth, swollen and dark red gums.
· If you are suffering from bad breath, tender, and receding gums.
· Your gums bleed easily while brushing.